At a time when the beverage alcohol industry is faced with glass bottle shortages and supply chain challenges, your bottle manufacturing company can have a direct impact on the success of your spirit brand. That is why it’s important to find a liquor bottle manufacturer that is capable of meeting your business’s needs, requirements and specifications. While vetting manufacturers can be a labor-intensive process, it will be well worth it in the end. Here are some key factors to consider when choosing the right bottle manufacturer to supply your liquor brand.
Why Finding a Good Liquor Bottle Manufacturer is Important
The bottle you choose for your product should help make the brand more recognizable and inviting to consumers. Keep in mind that customers will naturally gravitate towards more aesthetically pleasing packaging. From a practical standpoint, the right bottle will also make it easier to package, store, transport, and consume your products. A great liquor bottle manufacturer will help you hone in on the perfect bottling solution to highlight your product and win over customers.
Fortunately, there is a long list of domestic and international manufacturers to choose from. However, having so many options can make narrowing down your top choices more difficult. That is why we recommend approaching this task with the same strategies you would use to hire a new employee. Spend time interviewing potential suppliers, reviewing their processes and checking references.
Identifying the Right Liquor Bottle Manufacturer
Use this process to review various liquor bottle manufacturers and gather the answers you need to make an informed decision.
Decide on Your Bottle Design
A good place to start when it comes to choosing your bottle design is by looking at your competitors. Pinpoint what colors, bottle shapes, and materials you prefer based on their designs, and then identify which options will best address your unique needs.
Evaluate Potential Suppliers
With suppliers spread out all over the world, it might not always be feasible or practical to meet with everyone in person. Instead, you can pose some very direct questions and conduct your own research in order to gauge whether they will be a good fit. Here are some key questions to get answers to:
- How long have they been operating?
- Do they have a professional-looking website that demonstrates transparency with customers?
- Where are they located?
- Where do they ship to?
- Do they keep inventory on hand?
- What is their return policy?
- What are the standard delivery times?
- Are you able to get sample products?
- How much do they charge?
- Do they have the right tools and capacity for handling high-volume orders?
- What kind of safety standards do they adhere to?
- What is their ranking and reputation on third-party business sites like BBB and Bizrate?
Check for “Value-Added” Services
Ideally, your supplier will be able to offer other convenient services outside of manufacturing and supplying bottles. It is helpful to have in-house logistics, in-house graphic design, silk screening and pressure-sensitive labeling at your disposal.
In 1929, Owens Bottle Machine Corporation merged with the Illinois Glass Company to form O-I Glass. Today, they are the largest glass manufacturer and are responsible for producing more than half of all glass containers being used today.
O-I glass operates in over 20 countries around the world and manufactures packaging for the food, spirits and beer industries. Much of their business consists of containers for sparkling wine and other non-alcoholic beverages. Currently, the business is headquartered in Perrysburg, Ohio, and employs over 25,000 people across 72 plants. In 2019, their reported net sales amounted to $6.6 billion.
- MJS Packaging was founded in 1885, making it one of the oldest glass bottle manufacturers still operating in the US. The company has a long history of developing and manufacturing glass containers, glass jars, glass vials and spirits bottles. Today, they work with everyone from Fortune 500 companies to start-ups.
- O.Berk KOLS Containers, Inc., is headquartered in Union, New Jersey, with a 200,000-square-foot facility in Baltimore, Maryland. While the company offers a wide range of products, they specialize in containers for food, beverages and spirits. They also offer custom services including embossing, labeling, acid etching and silk screening to help companies achieve a customized presentation. You can even order custom glass molds for a unique look for your products.
- The Cary Company was started in 1895 and is currently headquartered about 25 miles outside of Chicago in Addison, IL, although they have warehouses and employees across the country. They make a full range of different size spirits bottles and offer bulk pricing for a more budget-friendly option.
- Kaufman Container has been in business since 1910 and now has locations in Fridley, Minnesota and Cleveland, Ohio. They offer unique packaging solutions along with decorative bottle services for customized finishing touches.
- For over 40 years, Burch Bottle and Packaging, Inc., has been supplying companies with glass, metal and plastic packaging essentials. Their distribution center and corporate office are in Queensbury, New York. Customers will enjoy a variety of different container options along with other packaging services, including custom mold designs and stocking programs.
- Gallo Glass Company boasts state-of-art techniques and processes that are designed to reduce environmental impact while also meeting customer needs. They were established in 1958 and have continued to demonstrate a commitment to delivering high-quality products and services to the beverage industry.
- WB Bottle Supply Company, Inc., is based out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and produces bottles ranging in size from 375 ml to 1L and 32 ounces. They also provide labeling, printing, screening, decoration and designing services.
- Saxco International is headquartered in Concord, California, and has been in operation since 1936. They provide a wide range of printing and packaging solutions, which has helped them become one of the country’s top glass liquor bottle manufacturers.
Global Liquor Bottle Manufacturers and Distributors
- Ardagh Group was started in Dublin in 1932 and was originally named the Irish Glass Bottle Company. Currently, the company also owns two of the oldest glass container plants in North America. They specialize in providing brands around the globe with sustainable and infinitely recyclable glass and metal packaging. Most recently, the company partnered with Absolut Vodka to help the brand become the first to use a partly hydrogen energy-fired glass furnace. This significantly helped Absolut reduce its CO2 emissions and move towards its goal of becoming CO2 neutral by 2030.
- Vitro was founded in 1909 in Monterrey, Mexico, and is now the largest glass producer in Mexico. The company also boasts 30 subsidiaries, including locations in Brazil, Bolivia, Columbia, Panama and the United States. Vitro is known for using a proprietary formula that relies on rave, virgin materials in order to create high-quality crystalline glass for exclusive liquor brands.
- Toyo Seikan is a Japanese company originally founded in 1917 in Osaka. It sells glass tableware for restaurants and homes, as well as glass containers for alcoholic beverages and soft drinks.
- Saverglass is headquartered in Feuquières, France, with additional offices in Louisville, Kentucky and Napa, California. The company began in 1897 and specializes in providing premium and super-premium brands with decorative and customized glass bottles. It also works with champagne, fine wine, and gourmet food brands.
- United Bottles and Packaging works with brands throughout the US, Canada and Europe. It is headquartered in Laval, Quebec and they offer a full range of services, from custom molds and transport and logistics to both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage brands.
- Stoelzle Glass Group is a family-owned and operated glass manufacturer in Köflach, Stmk. Austria. They have six additional plants across Europe and one in the US. The Group has been in operation for over 200 years and provides glass bottles to a variety of different industries including pharmaceutical, cosmetic and food and beverage.
There are a lot of different factors to consider when launching your spirits brand. The type and shape of the glass container are directly tied to your brand story and are part of what will grab the attention of customers. That is why it is important to do your research and make sure that you are partnering with a glass manufacturer that can provide you with all the services you need and support your production goals.
How do I identify my liquor bottle manufacturer?
Start by deciding on the bottle shape and design you would like so that you can match with manufacturers that can meet your unique needs. Next, evaluate potential suppliers by conducting your own research and asking the companies direct questions.
O-I Glass is the largest manufacturer in the world with headquarters in Perrysburg, Ohio.
Who makes glass bottles in the United States?
MJS Packaging, O. Berk KOLS Containers, Inc., The Cary Company, Kaufman Container, Burch Bottle & Packaging, Gallo Glass Company, WB Bottle Supply Company, Inc. and Saxco International.