UK retailer Aldi is looking to boost its core wine range by 50% with the trials of around 35 new core lines, as it considers retiring its Lot Series range of one-offs wine parcels.
Aldi buying director Josh Heley said the discounter is trialling the wines this month, with a view to adding them to the 70-strong core range, and would be watching how they performed.
“There is an opportunity of things we think could come into the core line, such as the Estevez Chilean Viognier (£5.49), the Maison Rouge French Boujolais or different varietals,” Heley explained
“It’s always a consideration of what can go into the range.”
Wines being trialled include a Pierre Jaurant French Muscadet (£4.99) and Picpoul de Pinet (£5.99), the Estevez Chilean Viognier, Castellore Italian FIano (rrp: £5.49), Specially Selected Barbera d’Asti Superiore (£5.49) and Specially Selected Italian Valpolicalle Ripasso DOC (£7.99).
Speaking to db in September, Heley said the core range accounted for around 80% of sales, with the remaining 20% coming from its 250-strong seasonal range. He said he was keen to rebuild the core range, although would not be add lines per se due to the fixed line count. The plan however was to “redress that balance” so that the core range “stood on its own two feet without having to rely on the impact of the seasonals” he said at the time.
The retailer is also phasing out its own label ‘Exquisite Collection’ and moving wines over to its ‘Specially Selected’ label, in order to bring it in line with Aldi’s own label ranges in other categories.
As part of looking at the wider look at branding across its wine range, it is considering retiring its Lot Series wine label, a rotating line of one-off wines that was introduced in March 2015, retailing for around £9.99 mark.
“We are looking at current branding and logo and we’re not sure if the Lot Series will be part of that going forward,” Heley told db.
In September, the company launched its new Icon wine range, a 35-strong premium own label range retailing between £7 – 20 that is available exclusively online.
Wines unveiled at yesterday’s tasting included seasonal lines Forze Della Natura Unfiltered Sicilian Catarratto (£4.99), Furleigh Estate White English Pinot Noir (online only, £10.99), a Cerquieta Portuguese Alvanrinho (£6.49), New Zealand Gruner Veltliner under the Specially Selected label (£6.49), Rozetta Hungarian Pink Chardonnay (£4.99), and a Specially Selected Lyme Bay English rosé (£9.99).